Feed storage and distribution
Feeds must be stored away from humidity, in temperate premises, protected from rodents, domestic animals, birds, and all sources of contamination or soiling.
- Store bags on pallets to enable air to circulate. Do not prop against damp walls.
- If necessary, for greater security, empty the contents into well-closed, ventilated containers.
- Silos need to be emptied completely and cleaned 3 or 4 times a year.
- Fumigants will be used during the cleaning operations so as to ensure that the insides are thoroughly cleaned.
- Do not mix balanced feeds with products with uncertain or inadequately proven nutritional efficacy, storage properties or quality.
- Ensure that feeding troughs are clean: wash regularly, and dry before distributing feeds.
- Ensure that sufficient good quality water is available: clean drinking troughs or buckets, freely available clean drinking water.
- A horse at rest drinks 3 to 4 litres of water per kg of dry matter ingested (20 to 28 litres per day according to the ambient temperature).
- A horse undergoing intense work needs 5 to 6 litres of water per kg of dry matter ingested. (50 to 75 litres per day according to exertion and outside temperature).